Tuesday, August 24, 2004

How do I create a 'catch-all' mailbox?

Frequently, I am asked if it is possible to create a catch-all mailbox. Or create a mailbox for any unresolved recipients. For example, if I own the somorita.com domain, but anything that does not come in to a 'known' recipient should be directed to the unknown@somorita.com mailbox. Well, you CAN do this with an NDR mailbox by configuring the Exchange 2000 or Exchange 2003 SMTP virtual server with the SMTP address of the mailbox to deliver unknown recipient's mail messages.

However, this still generates an NDR back to the sender.

Microsoft KB 324021: How to create a "catchall" mailbox sink for Exchange 2000 discusses how to do this for Exchange 2000, but it creates a single mailbox for the entire domain. Known addresses and unknown addresses.

However, one of the slickest, and most reasonable add-on products I have seen for Exchange 2000 or 2003 is called MailBasketMD from TurboGeeks. Save yourself some time and programming headaches and pick up this product. You will be glad you did. It is very configurable and you can configure different mailboxes for different domains. So, if I owned (which I don't) @mcbee.com, then I could direct all mail for that domain to my mailbox except for the known addresses.


1 Comments:

At 11:51 AM, Blogger Sam Cayze said...

Actually, in Exchange, you can turn off the feature that will send off an NDR for an email that is caught to a catch-call mailbox. You shouldn't need any 3rd Party Fix.

FYI.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home