Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Exchange 2003 24seven errata

I am usually very good about testing EVERYTHING that I put in to a book. The only thing that usually sneaks by me is typos. However, in Microsoft Exchange 2003 24seven, I have made an embarassing mistake.

A common question that I am asked is how to registry the Exchange extensions for Active Directory Users and Computers without installing Exchange System Manager. I used to advise people to copy EXCHMEM.DLL, ESCPRINT.DLL, ADDRESS.DLL, and MAILDSMX.DLL in to the %windir%\system32 directory of the machine you need to run them on and then REGSVR32.EXE each one of them.

This no longer works with the Exchange 2003 DLLs. These DLLs require the Exchange WMI extensions and the Microsoft Exchange Management service be installed before they can be registered. I'm trying to find a way to make this work without running a full admin tools installation, but for now, I figured I should post this.

I am sorry about the mistake. I only discovered this when I tried to do it for a client.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home