Monday, June 11, 2007

Prints go offline after applying W2K3 Service Pack 2

Last week, we applied W2K3 SP2 to one of our print servers. No problems. This week we applied it to another print server and a lot of our Xerox Phasers and HP LaserJets are offline. If we restart the spooler service, the printer comes back up for a few seconds, then it goes offline again.

Well, apparently, this has something to do with how W2K3 SP2 handles printers that have SNMP enabled. If you disable SNMP on the TCP/IP printer port, things start working for that printer. Read here for more details.

I *love* service packs. They make me so happy. :-)

2 Comments:

At 4:59 AM, Blogger Bigkevssf said...

Thank you very much for the tip. I had been looking for the reason why my Dell and HP printers were offline.
You were right; the darn SP2 made some nice changes.
Your info helped me out and saved me countless hours.

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

That worked like a charm!
I worked on this for about an hour on 2 different servers with no luck. Will look here first!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home